Who are some famous USSR/Russian Statistics/probability academic researchers? Are russian (current Russia and former USSR) strong in this field academically?
It is hard to underestimate the contribution of Andrey Kolmogorov, for putting probability theory on a rigorous mathematical footing during the Soviet era.
Also, Andrey Markov, for his contribution to stochastic processes and Markov chains in particular, though most of his work was in the pre-Soviet era.
Possibly worth mentioning, though he was pre-Soviet Russia, Pafnuty Chebyshev for the Chebyshev inequality.
- Solved – Revolutions in statistics for the last 50 years?
- Solved – Trend detection quantitative models
- Solved – Why does Natural Language Processing not fall under Machine Learning domain?
- Solved – How to represent Conditional Probability Table based Bayesian Networks in Winbugs?
- Solved – How to remove stopwords with Russian documents